2018 Kulgam blast video shared in Pak social media as Kashmiris massacred in recent unrest

Abdullah Gul, the son of former ISI DG General Hamid Gul, tweeted a video on August 10, claiming it was sent was a “Kashmiri sister” and depicts a massacre in the region. The video shows people running havoc, carrying injured bodies. His tweet in Urdu roughly translates to – “Massacre started in Kashmir. This video has been sent by a Kashmiri sister. Quaid-e-Azam has ordered army to march towards Kashmir. We are providing diplomatic, moral and political support. Imran Khan says he will respond if Pakistan attacks. Isn’t Kashmir Pakistan? Did Tipu Sultan go that way?”

Gul’s tweet was shared by a Twitter handle TIMES OF GAZA with the claim – “Indian forces are brutally killing people in Kashmir during the lockdown.”

The video was also shared by Pakistani politicians Rehman Malik.

Old video

The clip tweeted by Gul is unrelated to the recent unrest in Jammu and Kashmir. Alt News broke the video into multiple frames and reserve-searched one of the images on Google. We were led to a YouTube handle which had uploaded the same video last year titled – ‘Kashmir News’. The description of the clip says, “Civilian death toll mounts to seven in Kulgam* Srinagar, Oct 21(GNS): The civilian death toll has risen to seven with the death of another.”

When we searched for videos on YouTube using keywords – ‘Kulgam blast’ – we found an October 22, 2018 broadcast by IB Times which carried the same video. Identical visuals can be seen 0:32 seconds onward.

An additional spokesperson of JKNC had also tweeted the video last year.

On October 21, 2018, seven civilians were killed in Kashmir’s Kulgam in an explosion at the site of a gun battle between militants and security forces. According to Hindustan Timesthe police said that three Jaish terrorists were also gunned down in the encounter. While the police maintained that civilians were advised to stay away from the site, angry locals questioned the authority’s failure to cordon off the encounter site to people.

In conclusion, a video of the 2018 Kulgam blast was shared as visuals of the ongoing unrest in Kashmir after J&K’s special status under Article 370 was scrapped. Alt News has come across several such cases where old clips were shared to claim Kashmiris attacked in J&K – old mock drill video from Jharkhand, old lathi-charge video from Patna.

Donate to Alt News!
Independent journalism that speaks truth to power and is free of corporate and political control is possible only when people start contributing towards the same. Please consider donating towards this endeavour to fight fake news and misinformation.

Donate Now

To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer/Cheque/DD, click here.
You could follow Alt News posts either via our Facebook page or by following us on Twitter or by subscribing to our E-mail updates.


Subscribe to Alt News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Alt News and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Send this to a friend